ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

"Think of these three things: whence you came, where you are going, and to whom you must account"--Benjamin Franklin


secret Posted by Hello

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Time & Tide Wait for No Man: In Defence of New Year Resolutions


It took my small brain a long time before I understood that quote my parents were always throwing me and my brother's way. They liked to use it especially around exam periods, and my brother and I would look at each other, scratch our respective heads in wonderment, and wonder what on earth our parents were talking about: Time and Tide wait for no man.

Tide? WTF?!!

As we grew a little bit older, it kind of dawned on us--as did the value of resolutions, but, like the proverbial kids, we didn't take it too seriously. It was really only after my brother passed away in 1991, and I was left to think more critically about things, rather than rely on his three-and-a half-yr-older sagacity that these things started to make sense.

Still resolutions confused me, and so it is with some sense of hilarity that I came across "Joey Madison"--the very sexy young twenty-something--who blogs secrets on Madison's avenue and her take on resolutions:


My mind is in a million zillion pieces... It's a new year - did I mention I hate the new year?! Everyone rattle tattles on... starting over, blah, blah, blah, new beginnings, blah, blah, blah, another chance, blah, blah, blah. No - we are not starting over, I don't get to erase my bills and start with a zero balance. It's not a new beginning - it's just a continuance of the day before, we go back to work, we continue dropping off and picking up the kids from school, we do our laundry, cook dinner, etc... our daily lives continue. And it's not another chance - another chance at what?

from: http://secretsonmadisonavenue.blogspot.com/2006/01/new-year.html

I think Joey has a point about debts not being erased to zero, plus the fact that it's a continuance of the old day. It is so very true, albeit a deeply cynical view. I do not think it's a crime deluding yourself that things are anew just so that you can do that bit better than yesterday.

After all, a lot of us exposed to the Western lifestyle have spent most of our lives watching professional liars act so well on tv, be affected by their performances, and impressed etc, so why is it odd that we cannot delude ourselves that we are living a "new year'?;-)

If I told you the number of films that have affected me for the better, you would probably blush. Yet what in essence these actors were doing, were lying to me that they were in another world saving a life, or something, so why cannot I perpetuate my own lie of being in a new year?

Ok, so I have belabooured the point, with much apologies (it's friday!), but my point is that we all delude ourselves in so many aspects anyway. Why change now?

I have resolved to read more; spend more time consolidating my intellect than chasing members of the opposite sex(!); lose more weight; exercise more; be fitter.

We shall see! The difference with me this year is that I taped my resolutions and try to listen to it at least once a week--just to remind myself of what I have committed myself to. Whether or not this will work is a moot point!

I actually like New Years. It is an opportunity to not just pretend to be better, but one to look deep within you, and see how you can stretch your potential more than you did the previous year.

Long may it continue!

1 Comments:

At Thursday, January 26, 2006 11:15:00 am , Blogger soap said...

I'm all for resolutions that lead to self-betterment (or at the ver least, better self-awareness), but I also find the "new" year a rather arbitrary time to do it. I mean, you kinda have to work with the time and tides, right?

You can try, but the tides will turn when they are good and ready.

That said, good luck with your resolutions!

P.S. Whatcha reading?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  < ? Blogs By Black Women # > eXTReMe Tracker CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010