ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

"Think of these three things: whence you came, where you are going, and to whom you must account"--Benjamin Franklin


secret Posted by Hello

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Is There an Angel Contemplating my Fate?







Is there an angel contemplating my fate? Posted by Picasa



I sit and wait
Does an angel contemplate my fate
And do they know
The places where we go
When we're grey and old...

- Robbie Williams



I woke up last Sunday to the news that a Nigerian airline had crashed shortly after having taken off.

All 117 people perished.

I later found out that an electrical storm had caused the plane to explode in mid-air.

Explode.

I spoke to my very good friend Monday afternoon. She was freaked out. Our short pre-prandial discussion centred on death, and our ultimate purpose. A bit heavy that side of lunch-time, you could say.

She posited the theory that maybe what our Maker should do (depending on whether you believe in Him or not) is, at childbirth, inform us somehow that we will be taken back from whence we came at a particular age.

So, say you are going to leave this world at the tender age of 20, God might just say “at the age of nineteen, you should be preparing for Me to take you back”.

Something like some sort of unwritten contract, or covenant.

Whilst the feasibility of this contract eludes me, I can very much empathise with my friend over this. She tells me one thing she fears most is when her time will come.

I am reminded of UK comedian Lenny Henry’s sketch way back in the early nineties, when he said that if Death was going to be visiting, he sure should be sending a postcard.

Because then…

“you could be out!”.

4 Comments:

At Friday, October 28, 2005 10:24:00 am , Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

The explosion was not an act of God but of nature.

Random events clashed at the right time leading to death.

Have no fear. There are no angels watching over you.

Just you looking out for you.

 
At Friday, October 28, 2005 10:37:00 am , Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Daniel, much of what you say chimes with what I think; I personally do not think that the crash was necessarily an act of God, but I do think when your time's up, it's up, and it's written somewhere, somehow, that you will go through this route

I am not too sure about angels either, but I do believe that whilst we are looking out for ourselves, we are daily protected by a Higher power.

I know this world sucks and the evil in it is breath-taking (sometimes literally), but despite that things that have happened in my short life so far, and for which I, and my family, have come out unscathed, has led me to believe what I believe today about a higher power.

 
At Saturday, October 29, 2005 5:21:00 pm , Blogger soap said...

The inevitability of death doesn't make that plane crash any less tragic. Unfortunately, we do only so much to look after ourselves -- or each other.

 
At Friday, November 04, 2005 4:44:00 pm , Blogger JeN said...

And to think, planes are the safest way to travel.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  < ? Blogs By Black Women # > eXTReMe Tracker CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010