ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

"Think of these three things: whence you came, where you are going, and to whom you must account"--Benjamin Franklin


secret Posted by Hello

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Oh it's good to Cogitate!!

In around roughly forty minutes time, I shall be making my way to a hotel nearby to act as shadow rapporteur to a seminar organized by my organization on mining and oil.

 

I used to hate seminars like the plague. Now, I realize that being surrounded by all these intellectual giants, it’s actually quite good being at one—not just because of the topic necessarily. The very fact that being compelled to read papers submitted by these academics/researchers as a way of keeping on top of the issues makes one realize that the quest and thirst for intellect is a never-ending one.  And so, even though my Saturday has been robbed a bit of sleep, I think I am the better for itJ

 

No matter how much you think you might now about a particular topic, there is always so much more you can know. My immediate boss called it “the extra mile”: going that bit further, even sometimes pushing the envelope, to enhance yourself in your occupation, and your knowledge of things.

 

This means that, say you are a journalist, you don’t just go to meetings/conferences and report on them. You go the extra mile by talking to people and researching on a topic of importance to society, which means you become proactive. If you are a doctor, you go the extra mile of being sympathetic to your patients, and not just treating them simply as patients. Or if you are an actor, going that extra mile of not being afraid to speak your mind about issues of political sensitivity (http://danielhg.blogspot.com); or if you were a sex worker, ensuring that your perception of life is reflected through your work (http://newageharlot.blogspot.com); or finally, if you are a married couple, you extend and improve your married life by relating to those lost souls the way of the small things we miss in life (http://lessisapossibility.blogspot.com), and the simple things that should make us happy.

 

I don’t work on the topic of oil or mining -- my colleagues are the experts – but simply being exposed to the information has provided this epiphany so very late in March. Shouldn’t it have been on January 6?

 

I always was a late starterJ

5 Comments:

At Monday, March 06, 2006 9:49:00 pm , Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Sometimes I worry that by speaking my mind I put my acting career at risk.

 
At Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:34:00 am , Blogger soap said...

I wanted Steph to respond to this one, but he's less sure than I am about what you are implying. That our blog is about married life? That we are married? Well, this is more than I usually say, but it's all about to come out anyway. We are married. But not to each other.

As for your journalistic impulse, it is wise to read up and be informed well enough to ask the right questions... but sometimes, you ask better questions, and learn more, when you don't know sth than when you do. That's what epiphanies are usually about.

 
At Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:44:00 am , Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

sissoula, I am terribly sorry. I withdraw my statement, and will make amend accordingly.

I was not implying that your blog is about married life. My perception is that it is about the small things in life filtered through (the lens of) married life. At least, that is how I have been seeing it.

You are right that I should perhaps have asked more questions than I did, so please correct me.

I think I'll pop over to your blog now...am a bit disconcerted...

 
At Friday, March 10, 2006 5:45:00 am , Blogger soap said...

Emmanuel, no need to be terribly sorry! There was certainly no offense taken. Actually, I liked (I still do) the romanticism behind the idea. The reason Steph and I do the blog together is exactly to maintain the closeness we have, despite all the things that tend to get in the way of that, like distance, work, and well... married life.

And now it's my turn to apologize. Please don't think I was criticizing your interpretation of things. Those two paragraphs I wrote really were on two different subjects -- sorry if the second one seemed like a slap on the wrist. I've worked as a reporter; I was just putting my two cents in.

 
At Sunday, March 12, 2006 5:16:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to visit your blog after too long away6 fro it, and to be mentioned in this neat post. To let you know, coming soon on my blog, after re-writing, posts of complete chapters should make it easier to follow the story. Goodluck with the seminar and further cogitating!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  < ? Blogs By Black Women # > eXTReMe Tracker CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010