ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

"Think of these three things: whence you came, where you are going, and to whom you must account"--Benjamin Franklin


secret Posted by Hello

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Here's a Thriller for You--Part II


I spent the better part of the weekend loooking through the story I wrote for my Creative writing class at college back in 2000. The titles are hevily inspired by the Welsh-pop group Catatonia and their 1998/99 hit "Strange Glue". So, you will find titles like "Secrets I Keep" (Chapter II); and "No Saviour" (Chapter III)--both of which can be found in the lyrics of the song.

It is a very haunting song, and if you read the lyrics, you will understand why it is so inspirational for writing crime;-) It is one of my favourites on that chapter, barring "Road Rage", and "Mulder and Scully".

The title--"End of the Night"--comes from the refrain of the lyrics:



The end of the night never comes too quickly for me...never comes too quickly for me...



So it was that I would turn to Christoper McQuarrie, writer of the 1995 classic gangster thriller "Usual Suspects" and his script, which I purchased from amazon in 1999 after watching the film--twice!-- in the Christmas of 1998.

I re-call having read the preface to the script when I first bought it, and wondering how amazing it must have been to work in a detective agency and all that. WHat was most interesting was the manner in which McQuarrie had come up with the plot of the film solely upon sitting down on his desk and looking around him. Apparently, a lot of the names he had used (some which he sought permission for) for the film came from the law firm which he had once worked for...

Which just struck me about the necessity of drawing inspiration from one's own surroundings if you want to write something more authentic. It stands to reason, but it can sometimes be forgotten that once you begin to elect domicile in the world of your characters, playing god here and there, it is of utmost importance to get back to what rings true in your real world and try to reflect that in your newly-created world.

Good stuff!!

My story revolves round a crime reporter who, along with her husband, a Chief Inspector, is drawn to a town where killings have taken place only to throw up a surprise for her husband that that same town is inhabited by her younger sister--married to a cheating husband...

The story unfolds from there, but there WILL be many body counts--that's for sure!! And I am seeking to bring in as many red herrings as I can find--and getting inspiration from the "Usual Suspects" script is quite helpful, actually;-)

I want to expand the chapters from three to ten, and introduce other characters--minor and otherwise--and possibly fuse an older story I wrote with this...

who knows, but it's all exciting stuff!!!

hope you are all keeping well...steph, sisoula, daniel, portuguesa nova, JeN, laura?...daniel??...the (lurking) visitor??

peace...

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:50:00 am , Blogger Amy said...

Gosh, it makes me wonder what exactly you are drawing from your own surroundings when you describe your book!!!

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:22:00 pm , Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

ALyssa!! Good to see that you're back! Let's just say that I have a very fertile imagination;-))

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:56:00 pm , Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Keepiong well, thanks for email regarding hot lady, have you got a url?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  < ? Blogs By Black Women # > eXTReMe Tracker CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010