ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

"Think of these three things: whence you came, where you are going, and to whom you must account"--Benjamin Franklin


secret Posted by Hello

Friday, July 15, 2005

Serendipity

A rather big word--much like my (eccentric) ego meaning:




Faculty of making discoveries by accident. Serendipity has been recently used in connection with Internet, since the large quantity of information available provides chances to find unexpected relevant information while surfing the web. In Science one speaks about serendipity when the discovery is made by reasons alien to the established research experiments. For example the discovery of penicillin. The coinage of the term is attributed to the British writer Horace Walpole from a Persian tale "The Three Princes of Serendip" where the heroes make discoveries accidentally.




The songwriter SEAL sang "you're never gonna survive unless you get a little crazy"

That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

I like to provoke--not for provocation sake, but just to push that envelope a little bit till it is bursting at its tenuous seams.

It gets results.

But not all the time.

Earlier this week,I screwed up posting a comment I made on the rather delectable and delicious-looking Saurkraut's website on an entry she wrote on Africa funding.

Without waiting for a response, as is wont of my ofttimes impetuosness, I went ahead and re-posted. Ofcourse, we all get angry--but that is never an excuse. Which leads me directly to Dale Carnegie.

Carnegie admonsihes in his classic book (my second bible) to "distrust your first instinctive impression".

Bottom line is I didn't on that day.

Yet, since 1994, when i first acquired this book at a book fair in secondary/high school, I have read and read and re-read this great book. Fair to say that even during my desultory years characteristic of teenagers regarding relationships with the opposite sex, my friendships and relationships with the opposite sex (and beyond) underwent you might say a catharsis.

Eleven years later, I have still got to get myself educated about this important precept. AFter all, isn't education, like bathing and faith, recommended daily?

Through my weakness (my impetuosness), I uncovered Saurkraut--and I am glad for it.

For after all, isn't that one of the biggest beauties of this blogosphere?

Thanks to the romantic Alyssa de Jour for reminiding me to keep short posts!:-)

3 Comments:

At Friday, July 15, 2005 1:58:00 pm , Blogger jade said...

"distrust your first instictive impressions" I think that's very good advice. When I jump to conclusions I end up saying something I regret. :(

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005 2:31:00 pm , Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

It is SO human nature to do that. It takes time and courage to realise you need to exercise some serious patience!

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 4:10:00 am , Blogger soap said...

You've gotta read Blink. It says the opposite: that first impressions are a lot more valuable (and reliable) than we are led to believe. The problem is trying to put that first impression into words; that's when we get all mixed up and start doubting our own reactions and the (usually valid, but somehow inexpressible) reasons for them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  < ? Blogs By Black Women # > eXTReMe Tracker CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010