ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

"Think of these three things: whence you came, where you are going, and to whom you must account"--Benjamin Franklin


secret Posted by Hello

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Reviving R Kelly -- You're the Greatest!

I listen to the private radio station here in Accra called CITI-FM, and they have this penchant--as most radio stations do--for playing one particular artist's song.

In CITI-Fm's case, the artist extraordinaire is R Kelly. And it's not difficult to see why.

I've had some disappointment today that involves me and my partner. So there I was, as per usual, listening to the radio, when R Kelly's song "The World's Greatest" comes on.

My attention was caught the greatest at the refrain:



"I'm that star up in the sky
I'm that mountain peak up high
Hey, I made it
I'm the worlds greatest
And I'm that little bit of hope
When my backs against the ropes
I can feel it mmm
I'm the worlds greatest"



I'm a great believer in my Maker--and for me, the only one there is is Him. I'll tell you why.

Everyone has had their share of bad luck.

The ultimate for me, apart from losing my beloved dear one-and-only brother Samuel D Bensah (6.9.1973) to a 14 month coma on 8 May, 1991 {he was 3.5yrs older than me}
was on 9 September, 2003 when this red pick-up car:


red pick-up Posted by Picasa
crashed into our green Nissan car that my Mum was driving, with a speed of about 100km/h, resulting in this:


all-smashed up Posted by Picasa

The side of the car ended up looking like this:


a view from the side Posted by Picasa

Miraculously, I ended up with a SWOLLEN right finger, which had to be treated with ice for a couple of weeks. Both my Mum and I were wearing seatbelts, and the airbag helped considerably.

Others have not been so lucky.

I knew I was dead on that fateful day back in 2003.

My own September 11th on a 9 September.

So if I believe that there was Someone or Something Out There protecting me, it's not necessarily because I have been an inveterate fan of the X-Files for most of my sane life, but because I truly DO believe.

I do not blame people who have a problem with religion: the restrictive nature of rules associated with it can be seriously off-putting, not to mention the scandals that have rocked religions like Catholicism, etc that end up putting the religion in a dubious light.

All that said, knowing of R Kelly being involved with prison and whatnot for stupid things he may or may not have done does not stop me from enjoying his music.

I caught another song of his this Sunday entitled "You Saved Me" (gave me a second chance):


I was riding in my car one day
in the express lane rollin on the freeway
and suddenly the phone rings then I
reached down beside me then i look
on the floor felt on the backseat
see I was drinking while I was driving
never thinking bout what I was doing
I turned around and before i knew it
here comes this truck now

Doctor said don't think he gonna make it
family said make the funeral arrangements
unplugg the machine he's gone now
then told my wife to be strong now
then a small voice said until me
if you promise to stop drinking
I surrenered on that day
now for ten year's i've been straight

You saved me 4x
Gave me a second chance
You saved me 3x
You saved me


In 1995, ten years ago this august, I failed to get into the Institute of Translation and Interpretation in Brussels (ISTI), seriously scuppering my dreams of working for an international organisation (like the UN) as a top-notch translator, like my Dad.

My Dad was immensely disappointed--as was my Mum who was devastated.

Ten years later, here I am--with a stable job and an increased belief in my Maker, and an even stronger belief that the United Nations is THE only way.

And not because the ever-sexy Nicole Kidman acted the role of an interpreter in the 2005 political thriller ;-)

After my A-levels, which could have been far better than they were--bar one subject--I spent one year at home preparing myself for a second chance to go to college.

In my heart of hearts, i think God did save me. Like he did on 9/9/2003.

He truly gave me a second chance.

Whatever you believe in, don't ever stop hoping or believing

And don't ever stop standing up for something--otherwise, like the proverbial saying, you'll fall for anything

God truly is The greatest.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:45:00 pm , Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Great post, uplifting and inspiring!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

  < ? Blogs By Black Women # > eXTReMe Tracker CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010